Clearing Water Repellents Roanoke VA
Boones Mill, VA
Central Vacuum Installation
Roanoke and National Home Builders Association
Spray Foam Insulation
Blue Ridge, VA
Better Business Bureau, James Hardie Preferred Remodeler
Clearing Water Repellents
Source: MASONRY CONSTRUCTION MAGAZINE
Publication date: December 1, 1998
- Ultraviolet exposure. Water repellents containing organic resins that are unstable under ultraviolet (UV) exposure will discolor over time. Most manufacturers now use UV-stable resins.
- Low water vapor transmission. The discoloration that usually occurs shortly after application is called "blushing."
- Oversaturated substrate. Blushing often occurs if the wall is oversaturated when the water repellent is applied.
- Chemical incompatibility with the surface. If the water repellent is not compatible with highly alkaline surfaces, the performance of some penetrating silicone-based coatings can be short-lived.
- Incompatibility with previous coatings. Sometimes, reapplying the same coating years later may cause clouding.
- Film formers. Unfortunately, when applied in sufficient quantity, most acrylics, stearates, and mineral gum waxes tend to darken the substrate's appearance or make it glossy.
Click here to read full article from Masonry Construction